Monday 28 April 2014

How To Guide: DIY Easy Appliqué


How To Guide

DIY Easy Appliqué 

I had an old and very plain purple vest top from Topshop that I decided to customise using appliqué. Here's how I did it...


--------------------------------------------------------------

1. 
First you need a template. I decided on a bird and just typed it in to Google images to find this:


I then resized it in Microsoft Word, printed it and cut it out.

2. 
Choose your material. I picked a purple and black flowery jersey. I then pinned on the template and cut out the bird.

3. 
Position your appliqué design on your item of clothing.
I pinned it on and then tried the vest top on to make sure I liked where it sat.



4.
Now to attach it. This is easy - just carefully sew around the outside. I used short straight stitches on a sewing machine to attach mine. You could also use zig-zag stitches to create more of an effect and to better secure the edges, but I quite like the way the edges curl up on this one. If you didn't have a sewing machine hand stitching would work just as well too, it'll just take a bit longer.


----------------------------------------------------

And here is the finished item on:


Appliquéd top worn with: Kimono - Forever 21; Necklace - Euphoria; Boots - New Look

No comments:

Post a Comment