Thursday 27 March 2014

My Pink Quilt Guide

Finally finished quilt number two! Here is a stage by stage guide for this one...

Firstly use a 13cmx13cm square template to cut out 108 squares of material. I used twelve different materials and cut 9 squares of each.

My materials


I then lay out the squares for the quilt in a 9 square x 12 square rectangle. I didn't use a pattern for laying the squares out - they are completely random, so I just made sure the same ones weren't next to each other.


A stack of rows of squares

Then stitch the squares together in rows, before stitching the rows together. A great tip I found was to number each row to make sure you keep them in the right order. I originally used chalk but it rubbed off so I wrote the numbers on small pieces of paper and pinned them to each row.





Ended up with a bit too much wadding! I lay out the quilt over the backing material and wadding to cut it all to the right size. I then layered it: backing fabric wrong side up, wadding and then the quilt the right side up. I then pinned and stitched it all together. 

Then for the binding round the edge. I made my own using my new gadget! It's brilliant, I highly recommend getting one. 



I then attached the binding in the usual way all around the edge. The corners are a bit fiddly but they just need a fold on each side.



Tahdaa... The finished item!


No comments:

Post a Comment